ar en de ru tr
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC: SGK Compulsary Health Insurance & Visa update!!

Bookmark and Share

SGK Compulsary Health Insurance & Visa update!! 8 years 3 days ago #15035

• Sallyan
  • Thank you received: 8
www.landoflights.net

LOL, like the rest of the media have been waiting for an official press release on SGK mandatory health cover but to date there has been nothing forthcoming. Of course we are all reluctant to print anything based on speculation. However, I was told today that the legislation is “more than 90%” likely to happen, so I have been working on an article for LOL for the past couple of days explaining – as far as I can with the official sources I have interviewed – what is happening. It should be online tomorrow. Basically the official sources I spoke to said they consider it crucial for all foreign (UK) nationals with residency permits of a year or more to register at their local SGK office. This way they will avoid being fined 886TL for failure to register before the end of this month if (more likely when) the legislation is ratified. Then, I am told the details will get sorted out or clarified. Some of the legislation is a little unclear but that will hopefully be resolved very shortly. As you can see all this seems very likely but is nevertheless based on informed guesswork and speculation. As the 90/180 day visa will also come into effect on 1st February according to Hürriyet Daily News it seems even more probable that this will too. When you go to the SGK office take passports and residency permits with photocopies of both AND if you are married your marriage certificate with an officially translated and notarized copy. The address for SGK is Adnan Menderes Bulvari 29/A. Hope this helps… Foreign nationals from other countries with residency permits should contact their embassies. Watch this space.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , carolcroach

Re: SGK Compulsary Health Insurance & Visa update!! 8 years 3 days ago #15037

• Murkey
  • Caycı
  • Thank you received: 2707
Hi Sallyan, thanks for the info (that SGK address is the Fethiye Branch?) From what Ive learnt too the new law states that anyone without health insurance in their country must register or face a fine and after they will placed in the lowest income band.

But the big rub is the proof that you have no insurance in your home country, in the UK as our government is so caring, if youre outside of the UK for 3 months you are not entitled to free healthcare (NHS) regardless of whether youve paid youre insurance youre whole life or not! :wallbash

BUT unless you have registered with your consulate that you are living abroad (I think the UK program is called SEARCH, they disguise it as an assistance program but its really to be able to track you down for tax and reasons like this), if you are not registered abroad then who's to say you dont "live" in the UK?

Just having a residence permits isnt proof you live in Turkey! They changed the tourist and residence visa laws to try to get more people to take residence visas but surely the law would not view mere ownership of a residence visa as full time occupancy? Many villa owners only come to Turkey a few weeks each year yet hold residency for convenience so I dont hink it will be strictly enforced for ALL residence holders, just those who want and can provide proof they have no medical cover in their own home country.

Ive spoken with Jane Baz here at length about all this and so far it has been the case that the burden of proof was on the individual to get a letter from the NHS stating they are not covered then they could get insurance.

BUT when I saw her a couple of weeks ago she said the previous scheme had been put on hold and anyone paying in had no cover and couldnt get their money back so its such a complete pooch screw as usual that I think its best not to panic and wait till the dust settles as we all know it takes at least 5 or 6 "official" statements before an actual semi-working model is put into place and given that so many people have already lost a lot of money in a poorly thought out scheme I wouldnt jump to give them more till the consulates have concrete (ha) contracts and a list of benefits for your money!

Just my opinion of course :)
"Because none of us are as cruel as all of us"
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Re: SGK Compulsary Health Insurance & Visa update!! 8 years 3 days ago #15042

• funda
  • Hoca
  • Thank you received: 200
Two days ago, I have registered my daughter for the Compulsary Health Insurance. She is 19 years old and UK national living here on a 2 year residency permit. When you are given a residency permit - you are automatically issued a temporary ID number (starting with 999) by the system. so all your details are in the system. I think this only applies for people living with residency permit but not on a tourist visa. If you do not know our ID number visit www.nvi.gov.tr click on "sorgulamalar" and then "yabanci kimlik no sorgulama" , type in your residency number and you will see your ID no. I was told to go to 'Kaymakamlik" (5 minutes drive from Altinkum)so I did and the whole procedure was pretty simple. The top floor office within Kaymakamlik is "Sosyal Yardimlasma Vakfi" which specifically deals with this compulsary health insurance. You need your residency permit, ID no that I mentioned above, proof of official income if you have any and of those living in the same household. They register you in 5 minutes and give you a piece of paper to be signed by all in the same household (you can go and apply together or one person can apply for all with all the paper work for everyone)Then they give you a written confirmation and tell you to wait to receive written details from SGK which will explain what premium you will pay and how.
Not sure if the new regulation applies to foreign nationals with tourist visa but I was told at the Kaymakamlik it does to those who lives here on a resident permit.
Yet again, things seem to be a bit unclear at the moment...
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Murkey, carolcroach

Re: SGK Compulsary Health Insurance & Visa update!! 8 years 3 days ago #15047

• Murkey
  • Caycı
Mmm, I wonder if that's how they intend to get their "lost" residency visa money from, negotiate a lower residence visa cost with foreign embassies to keep them happy then change tourist visa rules to end the "visa run" forcing people to buy their "cheaper" residence visa, then announce that ownership of a residence visa means you have to now pay 2-300 TL each month (and probably be fined 800TL + because foreigners have no way to find out about the charge or fine because no consulates have been told this is now the case) for the SGK health insurance whether or not you are covered elsewhere!

Cynical? Moi? Nahhhh

I for one would never pay the fine as its only imposed on foreigners (non-turkish kimlik holders) they haven't informed the British Consulate so how can it be official and how was I supposed to find the information if not through official channels?

I have to pay through a different scheme as a company director anyway but I still find it all very suspicious and riddled with holes and inconsistencies, till its in black and white on the consulate websites I don't see how they can enforce any fines and if they try I would be on to the consulates to fight against it. There should be fair warning and a procedure in place, better wait n see I think :)

New Health Rules are now Law 8 years 2 days ago #15057

• jools2002
  • Social Climber
  • Thank you received: 18
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Murkey

Re: New Health Rules are now Law 8 years 2 days ago #15059

• Murkey
  • Caycı
Thanks Jools,

I spoke to Jane Baz from the British Consulate today to try to get confirmation and am waiting for them to get back to me BUT I still wouldnt jump at this, if the Turkish authorities havent advised the Consulates then legally you shouldn't be liable for any fines, its the same situation that forced them to back down on the 90/180 visa rules last year because they hadnt given any official notice.

It will be a good test of diplomatic relations coming up in Feb if they decide to enforce both the SGK ruling and the Tourist Visa ruling as neither have been notified as is required through diplomatic agreements to the British Consulate at least so if they insist an fining everyone and pushing it through without notification I can imagine diplomatic relations will become very strained with a lot of very angry expats complaining to their respective Consulates.

Not two weeks ago the "old" system required that you provide proof you are NOT covered by the NHS, now two weeks later you have to provide proof you ARE covered (although if I were an isolationist, nationalistic government, that way makes more sense). 99.9% likely these "rules" will change again very soon, this isnt the first "scare" that the Turkish Government has tried on expats and it ceratinly wont be the last.

If this really is the case then last one out turn off the light, forced to pay more taxes and fees than Turkish Nationals and given less than half the rights and benefits, at least Reggie will have the Turkish only occupied country he so clearly desires..... :bye
Last Edit: 8 years 2 days ago by Murkey.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.345 seconds