Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC: Converting to İslam

Bookmark and Share

Converting to İslam 9 years 5 months ago #7565

• tanju
  • Sultan
  • Thank you received: 606
Since its the Holy Month I thought it might be appropiate to share with you of how an Aussie converted to islam.Very entertaining even for the skeptical:)

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Converting to İslam 9 years 5 months ago #7566

• Murkey
  • Caycı
  • Thank you received: 2707
Great vid, thanks Tanju, im biting my tongue but I wanted to ask a quick question of anyone who is religious, in a lot of "conversions" or "awakenings" its brought on by personal problems and a desire to seek an answer to the question of "why are we here".

So quite aside from my own feelings, have all of you who are religious found that answer in you religion? Do you have less problems in your life with a god to believe in? Is your soul content now you know the answer? And lastly, honestly truly, do you think you could have achieved the same state of peace and thinking (if you have) without having to turn to religion but relying on your own human strength, courage and wisdom that we all have deep down whether we "believe" or not?

Just curious :)
"Because none of us are as cruel as all of us"

Re:Converting to İslam 9 years 5 months ago #7575

• tanju
  • Sultan
  • Thank you received: 606
Geez,people just queing up to answer you Mack:(

Re:Converting to İslam 9 years 5 months ago #7577

• Murkey
  • Caycı
  • Thank you received: 2707
:) Shame as I am genuinely interested in any points that might change my mind but in my whole adult life any slightly "difficult to explain" questions or enquiries have gone unanswered or avoided, I've read a lot of "holy books" and scriptures (not looking for anything profound or answers to any questions, just research) but they are contradictory at BEST so you have to ask the people who "believe" these questions to find their interpretation on these things, usually everyone's interpretation is different so I don't understand when nearly everyone gives a different answer how they can all claim to belong to same religious "club" if everyone has their own interpretation, surely that's billions of individual religions?

I just worry that most religious people dont even question or think about it all any more, their parents were religion x so i am religion x by default, Ive met a load who have no idea what the teachings, morals or principals of their religion even are, theyve never even read their club handbook (Bible, Quran, Hadiths, Rig-Veda, etc.) It seems to be becoming an automatic thing that some people take a lot of interest in and most people automatically accept as they were "born into it" so any thought about the morals and teachings don't matter as much as blindly following tradition and what mum n dad did!

:) One day Ill learn to stop looking for any logic or reason in religion, as one of my heros (Richard Dawkins) once said "if you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people", let sleeping dogs lie huh?
"Because none of us are as cruel as all of us"

Re:Converting to İslam 9 years 5 months ago #7592

• Alibaster11
  • People Person
  • Thank you received: 17
Well I apologize for not seeing this earlier, but I'm not a frequenter of any of my social sites (nor am I trying to make myself sound like I've got "better stuff to do" cuz in all honesty I'm just lazy...). I can say that this topic is either overly frowned upon in friendly conversation or aggressively beaten in others. Here's what I've got goin on in my brain...

First off religion does not have to be used as a crutch like "my life sucks, might as well smoke crack" type of thing. I think some people love the idea of being able to blame the bad things in their life on something extrinsic to themselves. Here's the way I see it. God cannot do anything just to spite one person because whatever is done would invariably have an effect on others around you and have a ripple effect. Any kind of creating force by now has shown itself to be disconnected from the everyday workings of ordinary people and the world as a whole.

For myself I have been able to rebuke all aspects of religion except for the existence of God (I only use the word God in this because its familiar to everyone but I prefer creator). I cannot find any answer that is more logical to me. I mean firstly I guess people need to shake off the notion that God is any kind of being like us. Humans want to put a "face" on god but it is something that cannot be described because it could never be understood by our limited powers of perception.

I go back to my statement of "logic" because I'm sure it has some people scratching their heads like "how is god more logical than what scientists believe." Well, scientists don't know what they believe. I mean theories about entropy (chaos) and the big bang are very flimsy and highly speculative, a lot like religion. My main thing is that yes, the universe grew from a big bang that then through infinite trillions of coincidences spawned the planet that we live on and life as we know it. This is where my logic statement comes in because atheists find it easier to believe that all of this happened out of these innumerable coincidences and not that perhaps there was some sort of intervention. Some sort of being that has the ability of creating all of these systems and actually planning out these "coincidences."

It would take something far beyond our understanding, but then again most of us can't understand how a genius like Mozart could compose an entire symphony in his head and have it come out perfectly. I mean thinking about all aspects of the symphony at one time through every level and every different instrument and what note each instrument is playing at one time and how it will all fit together to create a master piece. THAT to a person like me would seem like chaos, so should I just say it was a coincidence or Mozart got lucky?

I can't go that way. Besides where did this big bang come from and how did it start? Basic law of science is that energy does not just appear. Law of conservation of energy or some jazz. So we've got a whole lot of energy here and where did it come from?

So we keep going back and ask "well then where would god come from? If he cannot be created then where did he come from?" To which I say "exactly." It would be ludicrous to answer because you would be in a never ending cycle of a god creating god who then created god and so forth. So we just cancel it out by saying there is only one god and it came into being because it wanted to.

Which brings me to think that really it must be this energy, that came from nowhere, that is really the universe, that is really God...

So the universe is God and we are in what would probably be considered it's anus...

THE END

Re:Converting to İslam 9 years 5 months ago #7596

• Steve
  • Sultan
  • Thank you received: 1273
"Well, scientists don't know what they believe."

Hmmmm! I think scientists don't "believe", they know!
In science, you base understanding on fact, proven fact, not belief.

Even theories that suggest something are always highlighted as such and is never proposed as fact without proof, indeed many scientific theories have been disproved over the centuries, once the facts are uncovered. I mean, the world is no longer flat, and the world now moves around the sun, rather unsurprisingly we are not the center of the universe! And there is no evidence to suggest that we are the center of design, or indeed of any higher purpose.

That said, each to his own. Every person should be able to believe what they chose so long as it interferes with no other! If there are gods, I chose the viking ones! I can't think of a better "hereafter" than an eternity in the feasting hall of the gods!
:ok

But I think these quotes from Ataturk sum it up best:

"We do not consider our principles as dogmas contained in books that are said to come from heaven. We derive our inspiration, not from heaven, or from an unseen world, but directly from life."
* Statement (1 November 1937)

"I have no religion, and at times I wish all religions at the bottom of the sea. He is a weak ruler who needs religion to uphold his government; it is as if he would catch his people in a trap. My people are going to learn the principles of democracy, the dictates of truth and the teachings of science. Superstition must go. Let them worship as they will; every man can follow his own conscience, provided it does not interfere with sane reason or bid him against the liberty of his fellow-men."

[Atatürk], presumably in 1926-27", Grace Ellison Turkey Today (London: Hutchinson, 1928)

:flagturkey:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.490 seconds