Username: Password: Remember me
Keyword

TOPIC: Drink driving limits in Turkey

Bookmark and Share

Drink driving limits in Turkey 9 years 1 month ago #8751

• Murkey
  • Caycı
  • Thank you received: 2707
I learnt something new today so apologies to all who already know but thought it was worth sharing.

I knew there was a lower tolerance on drinking and driving than the UK, at 0.05 its the equivalent of 1 small beer (which I have had now and again before driving) but I wasnt aware that that only applies if you are alone in the car!

If you have passenger(s) its zero.

I have heard on the grapevine that the Tax collectors Polis have been told to clamp down on drink drivers as the coffers for the Christmas Party are obviously too low.

Just just a word of warning to anyone who may be thinking of partaking before driving, the fine is 548TL for the first offence and 687TL for the second (Unless you have Turkish blood, your family knows the policeman, you have a dog related to his, your bribe is accepted or you support the same football team, other than that, youre screwed).
"Because none of us are as cruel as all of us"
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , tanju

Re: Drink driving limits in Turkey 9 years 1 month ago #8754

• tanju
  • Sultan
  • Thank you received: 606
Mack wrote:

If you have passenger(s) its zero.

Thanks for the warning Mack but there seems to be a miss understanding somewhere.The above Quote only applies to Commercial vehicles (Buses,Dolmuş,Taxi's,School services etc in other words vehicles that carry people for a fee) where it is zero tolerence.

For private vehicles the limit is 0.05 which is almost equivalent to two small beers in the first hour and a small beer for every hour after that depending on body weight,type or whether food has been consumed or not.

This LIMIT does NOT CHANGE if you have passengers or not in a private vehicle.

Advice :
Make sure that you drive at least 15 minutes after your last drink because there is still traces of alcohol left in your mouth which will register a higher alcohol reading.

If pulled over and your in doubt that you may be over the limit ask to have a blood test instead of the breatherliser.This procedure is done in an alocated clinic which will buy you time for the some of alcohol to wear off :). The cops don't take too kindly to this and may treat you unkindly(rough you up abit) and will pressure you to use the breatherliser but if you stand your ground you will come up trumps :).

Use your head and be safe simply just DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!.Its not worth worth the trauma.

Wıshıng everybody a SAFE and MERRY festive season:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Murkey

Re: Drink driving limits in Turkey 9 years 1 month ago #8755

• Murkey
  • Caycı
  • Thank you received: 2707
Thanks for the correction Tanju, I should know better than to trust Chinese Whispers and "know it all" expats :)
Use your head and be safe simply just DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!.Its not worth worth the trauma.

Wıshıng everybody a SAFE and MERRY festive season:)

Absolutely, normally I dont touch when Im driving but have been known to have 1 beer on a rare occasion, just not worth it, its not just your own life your'e risking and you dont have the right to risk anyone elses!

Get the Taxi or Dolmus for any Xmas celebrations :) (Well, Taxi anyway, forgot we're still living in a big village where the buses stop at bedtime :) ).
"Because none of us are as cruel as all of us"
Time to create page: 0.306 seconds