Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC: health insurance

Bookmark and Share

health insurance 9 years 2 weeks ago #9750

• Niko
  • Sultan
  • Thank you received: 218
Hi there I heard something from a friend that you can get health insurance for a few hundred lira a year (like 150 or 250) (if you've been in Turkey for a while... maybe that means residence permit??) unfortunately my friend could't remember where they had heard that or the details...

If anyone has any clues about that I'd be very grateful....
(or failing that where to find cheapish health/accident insurance)

cheers Nick
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: health insurance 9 years 2 weeks ago #9751

• Murkey
  • Caycı
  • Thank you received: 2707
Hey Niko, do you need this before or after the skiing trip this weekend? ;)

Despite what they will try and tell you (and charge you) all EMERGENCY healthcare (like A&E back in the UK) is FREE for Brits in Turkey, its a reciprocal agreement (and thats straight from Jane at the consulate here), they may try to charge you but you dont have to pay.

For day to day health insurance you would have to get either Bag Kur or sign up to the new SSK scheme for foreign residents, you must have a residency permit for these state schemes and both will be around 200-275TL per month although you can add dependents on for a small extra fee.

Not sure about private health insurance, dont trust a one of them, with reams of small print for them to squirm out of paying you Im not sure if "pay as you need it" isn't a better alternative in Turkey at the moment. When I look back at the payments I HAVE TO make to Bag Kur, 6 years of 260TL per month = 18,720TL and Ive actually had to use less than 1000TL for any "treatments" in that time. I have to pay Bag Kur otherwise I wouldn't bother, that same money just put into an account earning interest would now let me pay for quite a serious condition for quite a long time I reckon but its all a gamble isnt it?
"Because none of us are as cruel as all of us"
Last Edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by Murkey.

Re: health insurance 9 years 2 weeks ago #9752

• Niko
  • Sultan
  • Thank you received: 218
Cheers mate, you're a superstar....

Been meaning to get health insurance for a while now... but keep slipping back to the I've been here for years now and have used no healthcare so maybe pay as you go is the way forward....

The skiing trip brought it into sharp focus, but if Emergency care is reciprocal after all then that's great.
(Had read that but was really not sure about it ;)

and so far weather report seems to say crappy weather all week then ok at the weekend... keep my fingers crossed :))

Re: health insurance 9 years 2 weeks ago #9767

• melissamaples
  • Pasha
  • Thank you received: 125
Mack, why is it you have to pay Bag Kur?

Re: health insurance 9 years 2 weeks ago #9768

• Murkey
  • Caycı
  • Thank you received: 2707
Coz Im a director of a Turkish limited company, been the law since 2004 that all directors (resident in Turkey) must have Bag Kur, if you dont pay it racks up as debt against the company. :(
"Because none of us are as cruel as all of us"

Re: health insurance 9 years 1 week ago #9842

• pelin
  • People Person
  • Thank you received: 41
hi mack

I'm also interested in this as I have been told the insurance it be made compulsary for brits living here B)

As with most things here it is all as clear as mud,

many thanks
Pauline
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.330 seconds