Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cost of living survey

Bookmark and Share

Cost of living survey 8 years 2 months ago #13323

• Murkey
  • Caycı
  • Thank you received: 2707
A friend of mine who runs an excellent expats site in Bodrum has started a "cost of living" survey to try to get as many people to participate as possible to get an accurate view of the cost of living today in Turkey generally.

So if you have 5 minutes please visit www.bodrumbulletin.com/community/compone...-of-living-in-turkey
and take the survey, results will be available soon for everyone.

Thanks
"Because none of us are as cruel as all of us"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Cost of living survey 8 years 2 months ago #13332

• tanju
  • Sultan
  • Thank you received: 606
Just done it,looks quite comprehensive :).

Should send the results to Reggie :evil:
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by tanju.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Murkey

Re: Cost of living survey 8 years 1 month ago #14293

• Murkey
  • Caycı
David has released the results of the survey, you can see them here - www.bodrumbulletin.com/community/useful-...ing-in-turkey-report

and as an added bonus has made a great cost of living calculator you can use here - www.bodrumbulletin.com/community/useful-...ation/880-colit-calc

Re: Cost of living survey 8 years 1 month ago #14306

• Clarecg
  • Sultan
  • Thank you received: 252
Useful :)

Found the results quite surprising although I do realise that respondants weren't all from Bodrum. I found living in Bodrum a lot more expensive than here in Antalya. Just dlomus fares and pazar prices alone were always far more. My average dolmus fare back in 2009 was 3 lira and that was just for a short hop. Rent was far more for far less as well!

Re: Cost of living survey 8 years 1 month ago #14309

• Murkey
  • Caycı
I was surprised at the generally low cost of stuff when back in the UK and did a quick "back of the envelope" calculation comparing my own cost of living including all costs I could think of and the UK came out only slightly higher (5% or so) than here (mainly due to the housing and associated costs, the everyday items such as groceries, eating out etc. were much cheaper than turkey, like for like, forget smoking in the UK though at £8 a packet! If I smoked then the results would've been very different) and if the UK is only 5-10% more expensive but wages are 50-100% more its a worrying trend!
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Murkey.

Re: Cost of living survey 8 years 1 month ago #14316

• Steve
  • Sultan
  • Thank you received: 1273
Mack wrote:
I was surprised at the generally low cost of stuff when back in the UK and did a quick "back of the envelope" calculation comparing my own cost of living including all costs I could think of and the UK came out only slightly higher (5% or so) than here (mainly due to the housing and associated costs, the everyday items such as groceries, eating out etc. were much cheaper than turkey, like for like, forget smoking in the UK though at £8 a packet! If I smoked then the results would've been very different) and if the UK is only 5-10% more expensive but wages are 50-100% more its a worrying trend!

I suppose it depends on where you are looking? :whistle:

Bread here is 1 TL, in the UK my recollection is £1 . . . or more! Especially if it is freshly made rather than frozen and then reheated! :S

Booze I suppose may be on par? Which usually inflates the price of a meal disproportionately!! Meal for 4, at my favourite restaurant is around 50TL per head! Meal for 4 with wine!! Is closer to 100TL per head!
However, for the same standard of meal in the UK, I would pay the equivolent in £'s!! and that was 3 years ago! :crazy

Fruit and veg at the pazar here must be a fraction of the price in the UK!
I'm guessing that fuel will have a significant over all effect though? :thumbdown

Unless you're looking at the grossly inflated overtaxation placed on imported goods (and very often those that just sound imported) I usually find most things at a fraction of the cost! :thumbup
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.393 seconds