Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking to buy a cat / kitten!

Bookmark and Share

Looking to buy a cat / kitten! 6 years 11 months ago #22321

• Murkey
  • Caycı
  • Thank you received: 2707
Sorry Leo, bit of a knee jerk reaction when pet shops and animal farms are mentioned, they're a huge scourge but you did mention at the end of your original post alternatives, my apologies :blush:

Im not sure how much you know about the animal "control" systems (such as they are) in Antalya but street dogs that have been neutered/spayed and returned to the street have plastic tags in their ears, cats usually have one ear clipped to indicate they have been "snipped".

Many many cats and dogs don't have these, perhaps you could find one that hasn't and simply take one home! All "owned" pets will have collars on, so you can simply help one you find on the street or park or alternatively there is a big dog and cat shelter beside the zoo in Kepez where they would gladly show you some cats/kittens and re-home from there, they can also help you with the neuter/spay (Absolutely essential to have done).

goo.gl/maps/sNbMJ

Or theres a new shelter in Konyaalti - goo.gl/maps/8rzLY

There is one in Lara but IM not sure of its location, Ill try to find out and get back to you ASAP. I hope you can find and help one, we've got a couple of rescued street cats and they're wonderful, such unique characters :)
"Because none of us are as cruel as all of us"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Looking to buy a cat / kitten! 6 years 11 months ago #22323

• itir_al
  • Hoca
  • Thank you received: 79
Dear Leo,

I have to say that it is almost impossible to buy a cat from petshops for reasonable prices and I can assure you that we do not have reputable cat breeders in Turkey. Scottish or any other breed shall be brought from mills in Eastern European countries and their papers will %99.9 be fake. So there is no guarantee that you will get a purebred one and that it will be from a family with a good bloodline, free of genetic defects, etc. The vets may be a good idea but they also buy from some middleman.

I understand that you want to get a purebred one but if you are really into it, then you should find some good breeders from UK or USA, contact them personally and pick your kitten up by yourself.

There are some good vets who find a house to abandoned cats or street cats. The photo attached is from my vet, one of their customers are looking after 2 kittens that need a home. Their phone is 324 6092.

Sempatim Petshop on 12th Street is finding homes for kittens and abandoned ones. The last time I checked, she had suppose-to-be purebred Chinchilla, Siamese and Persians that she would home to good families. She asks for food donation. You can search for her on FB.

Antalya Acil Hayvanseverler, a group in FB, is another good place to look for. There you can find many cats/kittens on their page.

Ermenek Shelter has app 20 cats they are looking for homes and Kepez Shelter has around 100. I do not know about Konyaalti Shelter but you can find out.

I have some 60 cats that I look after. Only 2 of them are purebred and they both were abandoned. Believe me there is no difference, in fact strays are much easier because they have inherited the stronger genes and they need less visits to the vet. It is also comforting to know that you have rescued a baby from the streets where they are neglected, hit by people or cars, mistreated, even raped!

So it is all up to you. You will either be a supporter of the mills by paying for a cat or you will get a kitten who is in need of a good home.

Best,
Itir

The following user(s) said Thank You: , Murkey

Looking to buy a cat / kitten! 6 years 11 months ago #22324

• itir_al
  • Hoca
  • Thank you received: 79
Mack - I do not know the coordinates but Ermenek (Lara) shelter's phone is 0 (242) 321 76 64.

Hugs,
Itir
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Murkey

Looking to buy a cat / kitten! 6 years 11 months ago #22329

• Murkey
  • Caycı
  • Thank you received: 2707
Eloquently and expertly put, thanks for taking the time to reply Itir :applaud
"Because none of us are as cruel as all of us"

Looking to buy a cat / kitten! 6 years 11 months ago #22332

• Leo1982
  • Thank you received: 8
Thank you all for replying, got some good ideas now where to search! Tomorow we will go first to the shelter in Kepez and if that doesn't work out, we'll try the adresses as well.
And we'll make sure that we'll give the cat a nice new and warm home!

Ofcourse we will make a nice donation there for those who look after these cats so well (back in my hometown i did the same when i got my first cat, and it is great to know that there are some people who still really care!)

Thanks y'all!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Murkey, funda
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.398 seconds