Username: Password: Remember me
Keyword

TOPIC: What type of expat are you?

Bookmark and Share

What type of expat are you? 5 years 11 months ago #22789

• Mike07
  • Sultan
  • Thank you received: 426
I discovered this today from a blog called "perking up the pansies"...:)

Emigreys

Retirees serving out their twilight years in the sun, most of whom seem to be just a little to the right of Genghis Khan and who bought a jerry built white box in Turkey because it was cheaper than Spain (well, it was at the time). Everyday emigrey life operates within a parallel universe of neo colonial separateness preoccupied with visa hops to the Isles of Greece, pork sausages, property prices and Blighty bashing.

VOMITs (Victims of Men in Turkey)

Vintage desperate ex-housewives with a few lira to spare who shamelessly chase younger Turkish men. Predictably, such relationships rarely last once the money runs out. A sub-genus of the species is the MADs (my Ahmed’s different) for those delusional VOMITs who think that their Turkish man is somehow different from the rest because ‘he really loves me.’ Who are they trying to kid?

Semigreys

Those too young to retire in the conventional sense, and who are living the vida loca on the proceeds of property sales. Plunging interest rates present quite a fiscal test to those trying to maintain a hedonistic lifestyle on dwindling assets while waiting for the pensions to kick in, assuming there will be a pension to kick in.

Vetpats

Veterans who have been living in Turkey for many years. Usually better informed than their peers with a less asinine view of the world, vetpats have taken the trouble to learn Turkish and are better integrated into the wider community. Some have even acquired Turkish citizenship through marriage or toil and are fortunate to have found gainful employment on the right side of the Law.

Bodrum Belles

Single ladies of a certain age, rollercoaster pasts and plucky presents. Some may have once been VOMITs but, unlike many of their sisters, have learned from bitter experience and live quiet and contented lives with a refreshing insight into their lot. To qualify as a Belle you must live in Bodrum Town. Anywhere else just doesn’t cut the mustard.

Emiköys

A rare breed of seasoned pioneers, Emiköys have forsaken the strife of city life and deodorant for the real köy mckoy and eek out a life less ordinary in genuine Turkish villages. They get down, dirty and dusty with the locals, contribute meaningfully to their small rural communities, keep chickens, get unnaturally close to nature and talk Turkish to the trees (well not always, but I’m sure some do).

Sexpats

Discrete (and sometimes not so discrete) grey men of means who are serviced by young Turkish men in return for a stipend.

Hedonistas

Those who enjoy a carefree existence of total self-indulgence liberated from the binding ties of responsibility or the worries of tomorrow. Spend, spend, spend because you can’t take it with you and there are no children to fret about. That’ll be us then.

The Ignorati

A collective term for those who live in utter ignorance of the history and culture of their foster land, shout loudly in English and see the world at large through the narrow-minded pages of the Daily Mail (or The Daily Bigot as I like to call it).

These terms are not mutually exclusive. It’s perfectly possible for an emigrey to also be a vetpat VOMIT and a fully paid up member of the ignoble ignorati, and many are.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Murkey, Belgianinturkey

What type of expat are you? 5 years 11 months ago #22792

• Murkey
  • Caycı
  • Thank you received: 2707
::rofl

Thats awesome, thanks for the repost and thanks to Jack Scott for the original blog - perkingthepansies.com/

I think I cruise through various categories depending on my mood :)
"Because none of us are as cruel as all of us"
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Belgianinturkey

What type of expat are you? 5 years 11 months ago #22799

Thanks Mikael,

Had a good laugh reading this ! :applaud

Mack, I hope your mood doesn't change to often in one day ;-) :crazy

Take care guys, tomorrow I'm back in the country. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Mike07

What type of expat are you? 2 years 5 months ago #27670

• Murkey
  • Caycı
  • Thank you received: 2707
Was just re-reading this and had to bump :D
"Because none of us are as cruel as all of us"
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Murkey.
Time to create page: 1.415 seconds