Username: Password: Remember me
Keyword

TOPIC: Meltem Veterinary Clinic

Bookmark and Share

Meltem Veterinary Clinic 8 years 2 months ago #22566

• melissamaples
  • Pasha
  • Thank you received: 125

This is Harvey, he's a shoulder cat (demonstration above). Harvey's not mine, but we've been friends since he was tiny (last summer). I see him every day on my morning run.

Just wanted to give a shout-out to Dr. Ali at Meltem Veterinary Clinic for helping me out today. I hadn't seen Harvey in about three weeks because I've been recovering from an injury and haven't been running. I started running again today and when I found Harvey, he was not a happy kitty. He'd lost a lot of weight and was coughing in a choking kind of way... not good. It seemed to me there might me something stuck in his throat that was keeping him from eating properly.

Luckily, Meltem Veterinary Clinic was about a block away, so I popped in to ask if I could borrow a carrier to bring Harvey in. He's not my cat, but he's been a good friend to me, and I'd hate to see him die of starvation just because he had something in his throat that was blocking the passage of food.

After explaining to Dr. Ali what was wrong (we hobbled along in Turklish), he said that if it was what he thought it was, he'd seen several cats in the neighbourhood with the same thing recently, and that it was a bacterial infection causing swelling in the lymph glands, sore throat, and loss of appetite. I asked if I could bring Harvey in, but Dr. Ali suggested that since it was such a nice day, we'd walk to where Harvey was instead and save him the stress of being carted away in a cage. Dr. Ali packed his bag with antibiotics, and a sedative in case it turned out to be something more serious and we would have to bring him back to the clinic.

Good news - it's just an infection. There's nothing stuck in his throat, but as the vet showed me, his lymph glands are indeed gigantic, which I hadn't noticed before. He got his antibiotics (Dr. Ali was very good at giving the injections and Harvey barely complained), and I'm to come back on Friday and we'll go over there again for a second round.

As I was only out for a run, I had no money on me, but Dr. Ali said it was no problem, I could just pay for the antibiotics on Friday. 30TL for the whole thing, including a precautionary worming that he'll get on Friday as well.

So that was all a very good outcome, and a nice reminder about Turkish hospitality and service. I loved my vet in the UK, but I don't think she would have shut down her clinic in the middle of the afternoon to walk with me to give antibiotics to a street cat, and then smile and tell me "no problem" when I say I don't have any money on me right now.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by melissamaples.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Murkey, Aysun

Meltem Veterinary Clinic 8 years 2 months ago #22567

• Murkey
  • Caycı
  • Thank you received: 2707
What a heart-warming story and a caring vet, will definitely note his clinic details, seems for every cowboy vet in the city there's a genuinely competent and caring one, thanks for sharing this one with us Melissa (and good luck with your runs with Harvey :) )
"Because none of us are as cruel as all of us"
The following user(s) said Thank You: , melissamaples

Meltem Veterinary Clinic 8 years 2 months ago #22568

• melissamaples
  • Pasha
  • Thank you received: 125
On Friday I'm also going to enquire about ye olde snip-snip, but don't tell Harvey that. He's a great cat, but we don't need hundreds more like him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Murkey
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds