Username: Password: Remember me
Keyword

TOPIC: Broken electric meter

Bookmark and Share

Broken electric meter 6 years 7 months ago #26599

• Murkey
  • Caycı
  • Thank you received: 2707
I recently had a ludicrous electric bill of over 3,500TL for one month causing a fun runaround and some more face-palm moments (I thought Id had nearly all the face-palm moments Turkey can offer but apparently not)

So this is a cautionary tale to anyone with a broken or malfunctioning electric meter.

It was quite easy for me, the meter was quite obviously broken, when I moved to a new house at the end of the first month the meter guy came and had a problem reading the dim characters on the meter (I only noticed when pointed out too) He could'nt generate a bill so I asked him what would be done, he said he would let the electric company know and they would replace it. This happened for the next two months too with him seemingly forgetting and always coming to check a faulty meter.

It took them 3 months to replace the meter and I asked what would happen for the bills in those 3 months and got shrugged shoulders all round.

This month the meter guy presents me with a 3,500TL bill seemingly for one month of electric, no explanation just another shrug.

After visiting the main office I'm told it was from when the meter was broken and they had averaged the electric bill back a further 12 months from the date it was replaced, guessing how much was used.

I was told that even if the electric company's employee notes a broken meter it is YOUR responsibility to go to the local electric office and report a faulty meter (and I assume your responsibility to take a "technicalities of meter operation and maintenance" course as well). If you dont then they can and will simply guess a figure and back-charge you with a lump sum and no extension to pay, 10 days or cut off. :noclue

So be warned that your electric meter and any cabling "house-side" of the meter is not the property of or responsibility of the electric company when it comes to maintenance or checking its operation but if you tamper with it in any way then it suddenly IS their property and responsibility :der normal Turkish accountability from institutions and companies, ie: none.

You must report a faulty meter or face a back dated estimated bill later.
"Because none of us are as cruel as all of us"
Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Murkey.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loreley

Broken electric meter 6 years 7 months ago #26600

• Loreley
  • Pasha
  • Appreciate the now!
  • Thank you received: 203
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???? This is really really unbelievable, so you really have to pay this ridiculous amount???
The following user(s) said Thank You: Murkey

Broken electric meter 6 years 7 months ago #26601

• Murkey
  • Caycı
  • Thank you received: 2707
Sadly yes!

There is simply no accountability taken by the electric company for the fault of the meter, they claim it is the homeowners / Tenants responsibility to monitor it and report it if there's a fault (in this case the meter had been faulty when no-one was in the property let alone using electric, I was told that if the owners could show a zero water bill for affected months they would consider nulling those months but my landlord had a gardener coming in to water the garden even though there was no tenant so there was of course water usage!)

Of all the countries I lived Ive never had the electric meter be the owners responsibility before, its usually (and common sense dictates it should be) the responsibility of the electric company for its installation, operation and maintenance! Lets face it they have one of their own employees check it every month!

Burasi Turkiye :wallbash

Oh but in their kindness they do offer installment payments if you qualify and you have to drag yourself to the airport office to find out!
"Because none of us are as cruel as all of us"
Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Murkey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loreley

Broken electric meter 6 years 7 months ago #26602

• Loreley
  • Pasha
  • Appreciate the now!
  • Thank you received: 203
Oh this is so unfair and so wrong, I just can't believe it, what a horror story :( The electric meter is normally always the responsibility of the electric company, why why why is it different here?? All the best... what a bad feeling you must have about this :( (to put it mildly)...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Murkey
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds