Username: Password: Remember me
Keyword

TOPIC: Lost in Translation

Bookmark and Share

Lost in Translation 9 years 3 weeks ago #19598

• melissamaples
  • Pasha
  • Thank you received: 125
I'm sure everyone has something funny to add to this thread.

There's a stretch of 100. Yıl, between the Devlet Hastanesi and Güllük, where there are a million different çelik kapı shops. When I first came to Antalya, I rode the bus almost every day past these shops, and the signs confused me greatly, and I kept thinking to myself that I should ask a Turk about it, but when I was actually in a conversation with a Turk I would always forget to ask.

So a few months went by and I was no clearer on this issue, until one evening I was in a group conversation with several other foreigners and several Turks, and the foreigners were asking language questions that the Turks were happily answering. This reminded me that I was going to ask about çelik kapı, and I blurted out, 'oh, while we're on the subject of language questions... what the hell are strawberry doors, and why are they so popular here?'

That was the day I learned that çelik is a different word from çilek.

---

There was another time when I experienced a slight panic after being told in English that the day's activity was to be 'kayaking in the car', only to find out later (much to my relief) that car = kar = snow, and that kayak is the Turkish word for skiing and the Turk in question did not know that we had a different word for it in English.
Last Edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by melissamaples.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Murkey, tanju

Re: Lost in Translation 9 years 3 weeks ago #19599

• Murkey
  • Caycı
  • Thank you received: 2707
I had a similar confusion when I wanted to buy a canoe (or strictly speaking a Kayak in English) and I wondered for a longtime why so many boat shops looked at me strangely and pointed to to the mountains!

And the amount of times I've got into trouble trying to explain I'm sick! Took me a long time to get out of the habit and start using ill instead :)
"Because none of us are as cruel as all of us"
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , tanju
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds