ar en de ru tr
Saturday, 27 September 2008 00:00

Marrying in Turkey, requirements for British nationals

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Formal documentation is requested by the United Kingdom and Turkish authorities to marry in Turkey.


1 - The easiest method is for each British National to obtain a Certificate of Non Impediment from the local registrar in the town where they reside in the UK, before travelling to Turkey. This will take approximately three weeks or 21 days. With this document you will need to produce:

  •  your passport/identification

  •  your fiancé/fiancée passport/identification

  •  your divorce papers i.e. decree absolute and/or death certificate of spouse if applicable

  •  your FULL birth certificate

Application for Marriage Certificate

You may apply to the British Consulate General in Istanbul or Izmir or the British Vice-Consulate in Antalya or the British Embassy in Ankara

Your Certificate of Non Impediment will be reproduced in the Turkish language. In addition you will be required to make a sworn Declaration as to your status i.e. divorced/single/widowed confirming that you are free to marry.

Please note that a Certificate of Non Impediment issued by the Registrar in Scotland is valid for three months from the date of issue and should be presented to a British Mission abroad before the expiry date. Certificates of Non Impediment issued in England do not have a validity restriction.

What to do if you do not have a Certificate of Non Impediment issued from the UK.

2.- You must be resident in Turkey for 21 days, before applying to the appropriate British Mission in Turkey, providing all documents as listed in paragraph one above, with the exception of your Certificate of Non Impediment. A Notice of your intention to marry will then be posted in the Consulate/Embassy premises for a further 21 days. On the 22nd day, you should again come to the Consulate or Embassy, when a Certificate of Non Impediment will be issued in the Turkish language. Again a Declaration by yourself, confirming your eligibility to marry, must be made.

3 - In both cases your documents must be legalised by the Turkish Authorities, either by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Ankara or the Governor in Antalya, Istanbul, or Izmir. When you call at the Consulate or Embassy, staff will explain where to go and what to do.

4 – A medical examination is necessary at a State hospital in Turkey. Full details are available in the information leaflet provided by the Turkish Marriage Office.

5 – If you wish to register your marriage with the General Register Office in the United Kingdom, the following documents are required:

  • Copy of your passport

  • Copy of your fiancé/fiancée’s passport/ID

  • Marriage certificate

  • FORMUL B obtained from the local Register Office in Turkey (Nufus Mudurlugu)

  • Fee - £34

6 – Fees:-

  • Notice of Marriage - £59

  • Declaration - £50

  • Certificate of Non Impediment - £59

All fees are paid in local currency, i.e. Turkish Lira at the current Consular Rate of Exchange. British Embassy, Ankara

You may also contact the British Consulates in Turkey. For any further information please call the Consulate General (extension 211 or 212).

Read 4403 times Last modified on Sunday, 21 June 2015 19:12